Saturday, June 13, 2009

How Many Tickets?


I never went to the movies solo. For as long as I can remember I had someone to my left or right to share my popcorn and Sour Patch Kids with. Michael, on the other hand. loved catching the latest flick on his own. It was as if he had some freedom I hadn't quite mastered.

I remember the first time I ventured out to explore this alien land. As I waited in line I felt as if everyone was looking at me as I said, "Ticket for one". As the film concluded I rushed to the exit. I tried it out, did my time, and could enjoy the rest of my movie experiences with Michael by my side.

Well, fast forward to late 2007. Plans didn't go as planned and I found myself wanting to try once more to do the movie thing with myself as my date. The anxiety tried creeping in but as the lights went down and I turned and looked at the empty seat next to me I felt a calm rush all over. I walked out of the theatre with a smile on my face and spoke out loud my thoughts and opinions on the film, like Michael and I always did. In the midst of the single sided debate I realized how much fun I had.

These movie outings, or as I call them : Davis Date Nights, have become a time I look forward too. I make sure and leave a seat empty next to me and smile as I say "Ticket for one, please".

As much as I wish Michael was there, I feel him with me and I finally, finally, feel the freedom I know he must have felt when he went on his own. It was in the simple things he did when he was alive that I find happiness, for what it meant to him and what it means to me now.

Thank you baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment