Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Spring Break!

I should be sitting in one of these chairs this week, it's spring break. I'm not, but my little guy will be heading to the beach with my parents tomorrow and he's looking forward to the trip. I am guiltily looking forward to three days on my own.

As an only parent I get very few opportunities to do "me things" without having to ask someone's help or arrange babysitting. I can't go the grocery store, grab a cup of coffee with a friend, or go for a run without arranging for childcare or taking the little guy along for the ride. It is part of the role of "only parent". It is what it is.

My mom does an amazing job of giving me opportunities to get some time to myself without always having to ask for help. She calls me to ask if I'd like for her to pick up Grayson on a random night, and a couple of times a year she takes him on a trip for a few days. Those few days, although I miss Grayson, are like a gift from heaven. For just a few days I am responsible only for myself. I do what I want to do, when I want to do it. I can eat cereal three meals a day if I want, watch rated R movies at all hours, stroll through the house naked, go to work early, leave late, go to happy hour, go for a run after work instead of rushing home etc. It may seem a small thing, but it is a luxury that I take full advantage of.

This week I'm going to South by Southwest - a music festival here in Austin. I'll stay up late during the week, go to work exhausted and hung-over, and be just an adult person for a few days instead of a hard-working only parent. I will miss Grayson. I always do. But, I will have a blast while he is gone, recharge my grown up batteries, and be ready to see him on Friday when I pick him up. He and I are headed to Houston for Friday's Rockets-Celtics game. After three days apart, a little mother-son NBA time will be a great ending to a great week.

Happy Tuesday - Michelle D.

2 comments:

  1. I knew I couldn't be the only one that looked forward to these kind of breaks. My little boy is 18, but still a worry, maybe moreso than when he was little. He has been gone for 4 days to visit relatives out of state on his spring break and returning today. I feel guilty admitting it was too short and how nice it has been not to have to worry or wonder what he's up to - and do WHATEVER I WANT...Thank you God for small favors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on YOU, honey - be guilt-free!

    ReplyDelete