Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Value of a Friend



When Michele and I first met, we were each about 4ish months into the process of widowhood. We connected instantly via email, and eventually became phone friends, only to move onto being a daily touchstone in each other's lives. We are separated by thousands of miles, but manage to connect in person at least 3 or 4 times a year. We were 36 went we met and are getting ready to celebrate 41...who knew we'd become such fabulous life-long friends?

I cannot imagine having travelled this path without her, and I'm positive that I would not be in such good emotional shape without our friendship. When others would have become exhausted by the depth of my grief, Michele understood and could share her own grief with me. We simultaneously leaned on and supported each other. It was this friendship that sparked the idea for Widow Match, and I'm still amazed by the number of widowed people in that program. It's a daily inspiration.


This weekend is Camp Widow. I get to see my Widow Match, as well as some other fantastic familiar faces, and meet a lot of new friends too. I can't wait! Hope to see some of you there.


Happy Tuesday! - Michelle D.

No comments:

Post a Comment