Thursday, May 14, 2009



I can't stop thinking about David. Not that I actually try. But today it's more like he is ALL I'm thinking about. Even when his beauty fills my mind I can't help but feel partial. Like someone tore off my legs and somehow…I’m still living.

I've wondered from day one (of widowhood) how long I’d survive this life. “Time” I no longer understand nor try to comprehend. I can only hope I don't live long enough to forget. If I think for too long about how much I already fail to remember, I panic. Fearing that one day there will be nothing authentic left of David in my consciousness but only a notion of who he once was.

At times, I feel as though all I have are memories. But I cannot allow his passing to be just a memory. JUST A MEMORY... is NOT enough. David is more. I want more for us. I know God didn't bring us together for only memories. How pointless... where would “hope” be in that? No. We were brought together for more... Like David, I too believe there is something bigger to this life than we can see or grasp.

Still... my legs are lost. A man's lost legs are not recaptured... He'd never forget what it was once like to have his legs. A physical part of him that is not longer visible. Forever they would be his legs. David is my pair of legs. He is not a memory... I will not let him be... David is forever a physical part of me... I will never forget what it was like to have my legs. To run with David through life. To jump off clips with faith in hand. To proudly stand next him.

Today, I must remind myself that forgetting David is beyond the bounds of possibility. I can hold on. I still have both arms.

1 comment:

  1. Nicole,
    I know that panic, and fear you speak of in forgetting, or the thought of our husbands just being a memory. I fear that every day. Right now John is always on the "forefront" of my mind. He's every thought, even when I roll over at night during sleep. I fear the day when other thougths will take his place. Not that I will EVER forget him, or stop thinking of him, but I'm so afraid that is what our bodies will do automatically. I SO don't want that. Boy do I wish he were here. My heart aches every minute of every day. I'd give my legs to have him back. Hugs to you, Lorry

    ReplyDelete