Friday, November 29, 2013

Turning the Corner

So, it's the day after Thanksgiving, and I write here on this blog each and every Friday. Except that I don't. In actuality, in order for the blog to go live on Friday, midnight Pacific time, that means my writing deadline is 3 am on the East Coast, the night before Friday morning. Last night. Now you know all the ins- and -outs of the widowed publishing blog world. Riveting, isn't it?

Believe it or not, there is a reason I'm telling you all of this, and it's not to bore you into a deep, deep sleep. I'm telling you this fascinating tale, because it's now 9:30am east coast time on Friday morning, and here I sit, post-Thanksgiving day, furiously typing this piece and hoping that Soaring Spirits and Michele don't finally realize how unorganized and forgetful I really am, and kick me out of this exclusive widowed writing club that I came into kicking and screaming in the first place. Bad Widow! 

Here's the thing. This is not the first time I have simply forgotten to be a responsible, good widow and write my weekly assigned Widow's Voice blog piece. The first time that I forgot, it was because I was so stressed out with my new "after" life, and I had just been informed, literally, that night, by my roommate that I just moved in with only 6 months earlier after making the heartwrenching decision to leave the apartment my husband and I shared for 7 years, that he was in fact, kicking me out. So there I was, back to that shaky and frightening place in my life where I didn't know where to go or what to do next, and so I forgot to write the blog. And much like today, I found myself furiously typing out words that I hoped made some sort of sense to someone, the very next morning.



But here is where my little story gets good. (Finally!) When I forgot the first time to write in here, it was because my life was so awful and I was in such a bad place filled with anxiety, dread, and fear - that a writing deadline completely slipped my mind.

When I forgot the second time to write in here, last night, it was because my life took a slight turn into a new corner of my healing, and the anxiety, dread, and fear that have preceded each of the 2 years of holidays without my husband, that was always there - wasn't. It wasn't there this time. Instead, I felt mellow and calm and "okay." Sad, yes. Hell yes. But I can handle sad. Sad is a cakewalk compared to the terror and the panic and the dark, black hole of nothingness that I experienced the first 2 years of this "new" life. Honestly, Im ecstatic that I have finally come to a point, where it's just about being sad. Yes, I still have the 947 other emotions that we all go through during grief, but they no longer overwhelm me from the very second that I wake up. Now, I'm just generally sad, but within that sadness, I also have moments of joy - and life. 

So, yes, I almost forgot to write this completely. But the reason I forgot is so much better than the reason I forgot, just 8 short months ago.

I forgot , for a few hours last night, at least on the surface, that I was a widowed person with a sad story I needed to go and write about. I was too busy basking in the very nice, peaceful day I had just had, with very good, dear friends I've known since college, and their family. Sometimes , for me at least, spending holidays with my own family, while I love them so much, can be so much more painful than being with another's family. In my family, that empty chair where my husband would be sitting , is glaringly obvious every single second that Im there. And it hurts. A lot. Especially when the people I'm with don't usually mention how obvious it is, so then I feel like I'm the only one who misses him, and nobody else cares. But if Im with someone else's family, I can almost pretend that Don is just working and couldn't come with me, or I can at least have his absense get a bit lost amongst all the many other people at the gathering. And that is what I did yesterday. I ate turkey and drank cider and wine and listened to my friend Dave play piano with his 7 yeaar old son - and I never for one second forgot that my husband wasn't with me. That isn't possible. But I was able to feel the missing of him, and also feel the joy of being with really good friends.



And that is the first time I have felt that, on a holiday, since my life-changing loss happened, just 2 years and five months ago.

And that is pretty epic.

(Pictured: me and my husband, at my cousin's house on Thanksgiving Day, 2007. me with some amazing New York friends, yesterday, celebrating Thanksgiving.)

6 comments:

  1. Dear Kelley, I am so very happy for you to have reached this point. Even breathing feels a bit easier, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another good one. Love the look on your face in that picture with Don.
    This was my 6th Thanksgiving without Bill. I was alone, by choice. And, yes, now I do forget that I am a widow a lot of the time. It takes time to build a new life, but it can be done. They are always part of us, but we do find our new selves to be pretty special too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful Kelley! There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Sorrow will always be there, and there will always be a Don-sized hole in your days....but you are starting to get through it, and I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful piece as always, Kelley. So nice to hear you had a more calm & peaceful holiday. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now, I'm just generally sad, but within that sadness, I also have moments of joy - and life.

    Yes! and as an added bonus, I'm not crippled with massive guilt at just being sad, as I would have been in previous years. Win.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much everyone for your awesome and thoughtful comments. I love coming on here and reading what you all have to say xo

    ReplyDelete