Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Look Back

 I was looking through some old posts today and this one caught my attention.  I wrote it on December 18, 2008.  One year after Jim died.
I wrote about that year, and how far I/we came in those 365 days.
I thought I had come a long way.
I had no clue.
None.

I still had so much further to go.
But still .... after reading it today .... that's what I thought:  But still ....
It was .... a year.
It was a lifetime .... in 12 months.

Which must mean that I have now gone through almost 4 lifetimes.
At least.

And you know what?
The lifetimes have gotten better.
And richer.
With every passing year.

And I guess that's what I want you to know.
In sharing this.
My life, and all of its lifetimes, has gone from a dark year of just trying to breathe, just existing, just trying to make it from one day to the next and everything that year held ....
to becoming years with more richness and texture ....
and living.
And joy.

So keep breathing.
Keep existing.
One day you'll look behind you .... and be surprised at much life you are living.
:)


Looking Back ....

Well, Honey ...... I'm not sure where to start.
It's been a ride, that's for sure.  And not a ride I chose to get on, or wanted to stay on, but I seem to be strapped in for life.
I started to just write about the year and post pictures from events, but there were way too many to post ..... so many that this entry would've taken several weeks.

     I guess I'll start at the beginning, which ironically, is an ending.
A year ago today.  Around 2:00 a.m., to be more exact.  You were there ...... and then you weren't.
I like to picture you as you are in the above picture .....  up in Heaven, just looking out at everything and taking it all in.  And waiting for me, of course.
Since you left you obviously missed the most amazing memorial service I've ever seen.  I was in awe.  You would have been embarrassed.  You never knew how very well thought of and loved that you were.  I wish you had.  I hope that you do now.
Anyway, you left and then the kids and I left.   We ran away from home, from Christmas, from all things/people familiar.  We took a cruise and skipped Christmas.  I'm glad.  I wish I could've done it again this year, to be truthful.  
So last Christmas did not exist and therefore does not count as our "first" without you.  That is definitely this one.
     We came back home and shuffled forward .... and backward, mostly.  The kids all went back to school.  And we continued shuffling. 

I took the kids to the farm at Easter.  We needed to see your mom, who wasn't doing well.  It was the last time 4 of them saw her.  The next month she joined you and now I picture her standing next to you, waiting.  And loving having time with you.  I'm jealous.

     You missed the letter that told Daughter #1 she gained an interview with Harvard.  You missed that beaming face that lit up most of Texas.  (I'd like to think that you didn't really miss it, but I'm not sure where I stand on that.)  She doesn't beam all that much, as you know, so it was a big deal.  And I'm so thankful that I was there when she got the letter.
     You also missed the letter that told her she got accepted to the graduate program there. One of only four people.  We always knew she was intelligent .... too intelligent for me sometimes, but Harvard?  You would have been so very, very proud.  I'd like to think you are.  She left in July and she loves it.  She's even putting up with the cold, knowing that it's only a wee preview of the cold she'll find in Moscow in February.  Our little girl.  Our first baby ..... going off to Russia.  We did a good job, Jim.  She's very much like you.  :)

     You missed seeing Daughers #2 & #3 in the yearly college program "Sing" .... our first one to not see together.  They were amazing, as usual.  I went with several supportive friends and the other kids.  We had a good time.  Even though I cried through it all.  Another "first".
I hate "firsts".
   In May there were several of them.  Son #1 graduated from high school.  Our first without you.  He had his 18th birthday.  Daughters #2 & #3 had their 21st.  Big birthdays.  You left a big hole in those days.  

     In August I took Son #1 to college.  And didn't cry as much as I thought I would.  Of course, that's what I have Xanax for, too.  
I'm sure it's no surprise to you that he's loving it and that he should've been there at the age of 6.  He is so You.  It's unbelievable.  He would've made you proud in the way he's stepped up to take care of me ..... as much as I let him.  I never want him to feel pressured to be You.  Because he can't.  I think I've surprised him with the things I've done on my own.  Heck, I've surprised myself.  I'm sure you haven't been surprised at all.

     At the end of August I took Son #2 to military school.  I'm not going to lie, Jim ..... I have shed many tears and have had many angry words with you over this.  This is the ONE thing that makes me the most angry that you're not here.  I should NOT be doing this alone.  I should NOT have to put up with the anger, the frustration, the depression, the hateful and hurtful words  ..... not ANY of it .... alone.  Very, very alone.  I do not pretend to understand God's will in any of this.  I do not pretend to understand why I have to suffer losing you and go through this at the same time.  Sometimes I wonder what I must have done to piss Him off so much.  Or what I'm not learning that makes him keep slamming my heart to the ground.  
And so I shuffle. 
Son #2 seems to be trying to do better these past few weeks.  I wish you had been here to see him in his blues uniform.  You would've cried.  Don't try to deny it .... I've seen you cry over things related to the Marines many times.  You would've been proud .... and proud to have tears in your eyes.  I pray ...... sigh, I'm not sure what I pray for anymore when it comes to him.  I mostly cry and pray with groaning, trusting that God does indeed understand those prayers.  
But that son also makes me smile.  And he can make me laugh.  He has a great sense of humor and a deep and faithful heart.  He is going to do something big some day.  God has a firm grasp on that one, Jim.  I just wonder if I'll be around to see it?

And then there's Son #3.  You missed his football season this year.  His undefeated, District-winning football season.  He did a great job.  He's done a good job of helping, loving and protecting me this year.  He takes his job as "only child" quite seriously.  He certainly was God's gift to us, wasn't he?  

The house is much quieter.  After all, last year there were 6 of us living in it.  Now there are two.

So it's been a year.  A year of many, many "firsts".  Some horrible, some easier, all lonely.
Some days I can't imagine feeling any worse and then I get up the next day and .... I do.  
Some days I can't imagine feeling anything good and then I get up the next day and .... I do.

I have learned many things.  First, never expect things.  Just take each day as it comes.
And appreciate the time I have with our children.  And our wonderful, supportive friends.  Their acts of love, kindness and support would also have made you cry.  And you'd be proud.
I've learned what an awesome man you were.  I mean, I always knew that, but not to the extent that it goes.  
There are people from all over the world sending notes to me to tell me what you meant to them.  To tell me how you impacted their lives.  One of your accounting professors even called me at home the other day to tell me what you meant ..... way back then.
And tomorrow there will be a dedication in your memory.  A building here has your name on it.  Go figure!  You will go on impacting our school district, its teachers and its children for many more years.
I thank God for you every day.  I did it when you were alive (I'm so thankful that I always knew how blessed I was to have you)...... I do it still.  
There are no words to express my love for you, for our children and for the life we had together.  You were my heart, my soul and half of me.  I'm so thankful to God for putting us in that Speech class together 28 years ago.  I'm so thankful for the time we had, for the children we have, for the fun, laughs, tears, joys, frustrations, travels, love we had.  And for the love the kids and I still have for you.
And will always have.
And that, my Love, will carry me on into the next year.  God is still doing mighty things through you, Jim Eggers, and He is using the loss of you to do good.  
I love you.  I miss you.  I cry for you.  I smile and laugh at the memories of you.
And I can NOT wait to be with you again, hand in hand.
Give your mom a hug for me.
All of me,
Janine

7 comments:

  1. Janine - thank you for this post. I am about to reach the one year anniversary death date. November 2nd.
    I don't think I will feel a big relief. So many people say "just get through the first year". I always think "Yeah, I can do a year. How can I do the rest of my life?".
    Yesterday, I had the first pretty good day. Where when I thought " it has been a pretty good day" I did not immediately begin to weep, or feel tremendous guilt, or wonder if I had hit my head and woke up in the wrong movie.
    Now I know, that a good day - is a day and a bad day is a given and I am willing to believe my life will carry on until it ends and for all the days in between I will miss my Jim.
    I will live them because he can't and hope - when it is my turn, he will be right there.
    Thanks for the hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you're so welcome. I'm glad that yesterday was a good day for you. We do notice when they occur, don't' we? I promise you that you'll have more of them .... in a row and less of the bad ones in between. You're getting there .... one step at a time. And yes, it's hard to imagine next week, let alone the next year .... but it gets more "livable". And you won't always feel the way you feel now. It's difficult to imagine, I know. A future without them is not only unimaginable, it's unwanted.
    At least, for now. But not for always.
    Keep breathing.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. Finding Widows Voice early in the year has been one of the very important things that have helped me on this path. It is the light, in the dark.
    The bloggers light the candles along the way.
    peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janine,
    It's good to know that you have gone from just existing to living and feeling joy in your life. I hope to reach that stage someday, too. Until then, I'll just keep breathing, as you suggest.
    Thanks for showing there is light at the end of the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today is just six months. I'm still devastated. I've tried blogging, it does help, I don't know why, but it does. Thank you for sharing this and letting us know that it will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the reminder to keep breathing and existing. I needed that. Coming up on two years and still get hit with that "did this really happen?" feeling. Waiting for my energy to come back. Will it ever? Sometimes I doubt it. I have read many of your posts and I sincerely hope you know what a gifted writer you are and how much you help. You are vulnerable and very strong all at the same time, and always inspirational, and right now, inspirational people are like gold to me. So thank you for that. You certainly have had more than your share, with six children and a sudden and shocking death to face. And yet you are a positive force. You are making a big impact and shining a very bright light.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too have a son who has struggled with his father's death. I question why God gives so much sorrow to one and so much happiness to others. I pray we get through it all.

    ReplyDelete