Monday, December 30, 2013

Happy


source


It's been a long time since I could say without hesitation "I feel happy".

In the time since Dave died, I've laughed and enjoyed myself, but always I felt that underlying layer of sadness and shock that dampened everything. It made even laughter a bittersweet act. How could I laugh when he was gone?

Lately, though, I've felt happy. Not tinged with despair, not lost in a fog of numbness, not laughing through my pain, just simply happy.

Along with the happy though, is a little bit of the sensation that I'm at the top of a roller coaster ride. It feels great up here. I want to stay here and feel this high. I want to see the view of the world below, safe on my high perch. But being this high means returning to earth. It means coming down and sometimes that coming down can be more scary than just staying down there. 

But that's okay because this time it feels like I simply don't care anymore about the fallout of feeling good. I don't care if announcing my happiness to the universe means it might be snatched away from me.

For once, it feels too good to care about what might happen. It only matters that what is happening is that I'm feeling happy. And I can't stop thinking that Dave, wherever he is, is ecstatic too. His girl is happy. It's all he ever wanted.



5 comments:

  1. Cassie, sending you a big sloppy kiss right on your forehead. Long may the happy last, enjoy it you so deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Cassie! For whatever time it lasts, ENJOY!!!! You so very much deserve it! "His girl is happy." Priceless! My husband is definitely hoping for the same for me, that is just an indication of their deep love for us!

    Thank you Cassie..... knowing you are happy has brought a smile to my face!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, Cassie. Congrats!!!!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, so beautiful!! I can so relate to what you said about your happiness adding to his. In the times when I have been able to be truly and deeply happy since Drew died, I've felt like my happiness has deepened tenfold because I feel as though I am using my joy to connect to him, and that it is adding to his joy wherever he is. Its such a beautiful thing… love never ends!

    ReplyDelete