Saturday, May 7, 2011

Books Revisited

**I've been revisiting past blogs. It's sort of a way to remind myself how far I've come and continue to go. Here's one I wrote May 9, 2009, that I wanted to share. I think we all, in some way or at some point, turn to books, blogs (wink, wink), or other forms of writing for healing**


I believe for me, that a huge part of figuring out one's grief, one most know themselves. Now I know some could say this goes without saying, but after the loss of your soul mate it's difficult finding out who this new you is, or in my case, who this new me is.


It is has been through meeting others in like situations, reflecting on my own thoughts and actions, and lastly, making my self-aware of auditory and visual things out there that may help in describing things that may not be able to be put into words, that I have grown leaps and bounds.


One such example of the latter would be books. From Lewis to Emerson, it is in those bound pages that I have found that what that ink and paper holds is far more precious than ever imagined. It was in college that I began reading a book entitled, "The Myth of Tomorrow" by Leo Buscaglia. After concluding the last chapter I realized the strength, power, and changes that I was allowing the words to have on me. I read things I had never pondered, things that stretched my thoughts and emotions to a new plain....and I loved it.


Miguel Ruiz explained in "The Four Agreements" that it is words that can either be the poison or tonic that determines our moods, thoughts, actions, etc. Anybody can read a paper, but we are the ones who determine what will impact us. We hold the pillar to what will light our way.


It is because of that, that I am proud to say I happily stand in the "Self Help" book section! I love it there! I especially fancy the used book stores where there is a plethora of spines staring at you. I go into the section with no certain book or author in mind. Whether it's the title or decor, I'll pull out only a few, and usually in that mix, will find a book to take home. It is because I have no preconceived notion or background on what I will read that my mind is more open to soaking in the words or inspiration or knowledge that will help me on this lifetime journey we are all on.


Now you must excuse me, as I have a couple hardbacks calling me to the bedroom.....


The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it.
~James Bryce

1 comment:

  1. Taryn,
    I love books and love Leo Buscaglia and thought I had all of the late authors works until I read this blog. So, I went looking for the title on Amazon and could not find it, not even in the archive of old books. Is it possible the book, "The Myth of Tomorrow" by Leo Buscaglia is actually an excerpt from another of his books or could it be a different author.
    I am anxious to read it.
    I have the Four Agreements and loved it.
    Thank you for helping me to find the book.

    ReplyDelete