Sunday, December 30, 2012

3, 4, 7 and 14

Source


3, 4, 7 and 14.

My lucky numbers.

I am anxiously waiting for the New Year to begin. After all, my lucky numbers will be part of the New Year. 2013 and 2014.

I don’t know why, but I feel it in my bones. I know the next two years are going to be “better” then the last two years.

With the New Year, I am pushing forward. I am pushing to not be “idle” anymore.

For the first time since Seth’s death, I have goals, plans, and even started a bucket list.

Some of the goals are short term, some are long term. Some goals I will see in 2013, some I won’t see until 2014.

But I am excited.

I have goals! 

Who would have thought that 2 years after Seth’s death, I am just barely setting long term goals.

Who would have thought it would take me 2 years to see past tomorrow.

One of my goals is to work hard on myself and my grief. I am ready to push through and break out on the other side.

Part of me knows it’s because I’m stubborn. I am sick of being mentally exhausted, so my stubbornness has kicked in with “Let’s get this over with!”

But my brain keeps going there “The 3 year sadiversary is coming”. 
It’s not until July, and I’m already anxious about it. Maybe because I am learning my triggers, and looking 7 months out, I know the sadiversary is going to drop kick me to my knees – again.

I might fall flat on my face, again.

But I will get back up, again.

Life will still go on, I will learn more about myself and my grief, dust myself off, and tell myself “Let’s not do that again”.

When I was 6 weeks out of Seth’s death, I went to a support group. There I met another widow that was 4 weeks out. We instantly became best friends.

At one point, we talked about going to camp widow the following summer.

We both laughed and said “I will be over this by then!”

Silly me. Stubborn me. So naive.

Here I am 29 months later, still grasping for air. Still grieving. Still trying to get a grasp on life, and learn to roll with the punches.

Since Christmas I have found myself in a slippery slope of death and despair. Grasping at anything that will catch my fall.

I don’t want to hit rock bottom, again. I never want to hit the bottom again.

So stubborn me, has chosen to not hit bottom. To not let the depression sneak in again. Why? Because I deserve better then rock bottom. 

Been there, done that.

And I didn't even get a damn t-shirt to prove that I have hit rock bottom. And lived.

A lot of people have asked me how I have survived Seth’s suicide.

The only thing I can think of is “I’m too stubborn to give up”.

Really, what other choice do I have?

Cheers to the New Year!

I can feel it, it’s going to be a great year!

If it’s not a great year, it will still be better than 2012.

I have hope and faith for 2013.

3 comments:

  1. May 2013 be better for you and all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melinda, I smiled broadly when I read your line "We'll be over this by then"! Ha, I thought exactly the same thing and I, too, am at 29 months and still drying tears and holding my gut together as best I can.

    But, you have inspired me to take up your belief...."HOPE AND FAITH" in 2013! Cheers!!!! Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so with you! I am newly three years out (anniversary is at the end of December) and I have been to the bottom and back up again a few times during those long three years. But this holiday season, something was different. It was still hard to know my husband was missing out on our young son's Christmas glee, but I was so stoked for the New Year. I even spent the last part of 2012 cleaning out our new home. I am feeling more confident in being single, a single (only) parent and found my way to a different job that fits me more now. I am loving life - and so excited to see what the New Year has in store.

    Even just a year ago was a totally different story. So, anyone one or two years out, just hold on. It gets better, I promise. There are still hard moments, but your learn to smile more and push past them.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete