Saturday, August 2, 2014

The Away Letters: Finding a Way

When he left for the trip he never returned from, we began writing letters to each other. Despite the fact that we also talked on the phone every night, we wanted to have the letters as a reminder of these times. Neither of us ever knew that he'd not make it back from that first flying contract. Neither of us knew we would only exchange three away letters between us before the accident happened. But I’ve been writing to him still, for the past two years, all along. Most of the time in my journal. But every now and again, I share them...
"Today was one of those days I really wished you were here for all number of reasons. Around noon, I realized suddenly that I had completely forgotten about the deadline for an art show I was entering. I rushed to get my three photos matted and framed, shoved them in the back seat of your truck, and took off to New Braunfels. I got them there in time. I did. In fact with an hour to spare. But I was so beside myself by the fact that I had been planning to get this done today for days in advance and then somehow, as I woke up in the morning it was completely wiped from my memory. It reminded me of how my mind still doesn’t work as well as it used to when you were alive and around. It’s so frustrating. I never know when or what I will forget. And it reminded me how – if you were here – you would have remembered for me just in case. You always held me accountable like that, and always cared enough to make note of the important things in my life. I really miss that, you know. I do.
The other big thing about today was that it was the last day to hear back from the Badlands National Park about the artist residency I applied for. And I heard no word back. I was so very hopeful and have waited almost two months now to hear about this opportunity. It’s been such a long time to wait in anticipation. I know you would understand, because you know it’s been a dream of mine for many years to work in one of the parks. I hate that you aren’t here today – for either side of the outcome. I hate that you aren’t here to congratulate me had it happened… and I really hate that you aren’t here to make me feel better about not getting accepted. I know you, and you’d have taken me out for a nice dinner either way – rejected or accepted – to celebrate me. To make me feel special, and to remind me to just keep trying and never give up.
No one else in my life even realizes what a hard day it has been to not hear back about this opportunity. Most of them don’t even know today was an important date for me to begin with… because they aren’t part of the “us” that was you and I. I don’t hold that against anyone, it isn’t their job to remember all these things. It was our job to remember them about each other. It’s just really hard not having you here sometimes to pick me up the way you always did so well. I keep trying, and I keep pushing and I keep living. But it's really hard not being part of a team anymore like we were.
On my drive home, I tried to think of what I could do since you aren’t here. How I could make myself feel special tonight. I didn’t very well want to go out to a fancy dinner alone! So instead, I bought myself flowers at the store, and some sushi, and okay… I admit it, my own personal and delicious piece of cookie cake. Because who can be upset when you are stuffing your face with cookie cake right? And even if I do sit and cry all over it… well, at least I am freaking eating cookie cake! I can feel you smiling already. Patting me on the back a bit, for finding some way through it "like you always do" you'd say. I tell ya, it’s sure not easy without you. But somehow, I find a way. "

11 comments:

  1. Writing to them seems a good thing to do. I think I'm going to start doing that. Maybe somewhere, somehow, they hear us. Thank you Sarah, for sharing this with us all. It really means a lot. And congratulations on your work. It brings meaning to me, knowing you are out there having success in your life, even despite the anguish of going it without him. Somehow, the strength you have seeps out and provides a beautiful support to us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie,
      I've journaled all my life, and i really do find writing to him incredibly helpful to get stuff out and to keep me feeling like he is still part of this whole journey. It's helped me to imagine and believe that maybe there IS still a "we" - just a very different one. Maybe somehow he's working overtime on the other side to line things up in my life here and help me to become who I was meant to be. Writing to him helps me believe in this a bit more. Thanks for the support, and for reading, and never give up!

      Delete
  2. Sarah and Stephanie, you ladies give me hope that somehow I can cope like you both. It's been three years for me since my husband suddenly died of a heart attack. I have good days and bad days yet the pain lives with me 24/7. The other half of me is gone and going forward like this is just so damn hard. Hugs to you both as we each travel this difficult road. Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I too knw that 24/7 pain..in beginning wanted to just die.., couldn't imagine my Life w/ out him. Known him since 14 yrs. old..we were making our retirement plans.. Now there is no we, or plan.

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad it gives you hope. Even the tiniest glimmers of hope are SO important for us while going through all this hell! Keep your eyes open, no matter how weary, keep looking for hope!

      Delete
  3. Oh I definitely understand this one. Im so very sorry you didnt get the news you wanted about the residency. That truly sucks, and not having Drew here to say it truly sucks , also sucks. But I love you, and I want some cookie-cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelley! Yup, majorly sucks! After reflecting a bit, I am hoping something else will come out of it and prove to me that this fall was not my time for the residency. There must be something else I'm meant to be spending with on - or someplace else!

      Delete
  4. Hello, I was told my a counselor to write.. Just journal..it's like yr talking and telling yr story to someone in private.. Feels ok, sometimes good..a dr. Told me to keep tv on all time..every piece of advice that came my way I would listen to because I needed someway to escape from the abyss..what I found in all my working years , I've had some Dissapppointments..but it always seemed to work out in another way..the ole sayn when one door closes another does open and sometimes when least expected..don't be disheartened abt a job, there is another one around corner better for you..I knw some may say cliche on this, but I hv truly lived it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend. Wise words! I am going to focus on that thought, and that it must not have been time right now for it - because there must be something else I should be doing or that will come along. =) Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Sarah, it sounds like we had very similar spouses. I lost my husband 2/1/14 and am still reeling and trying to find my place in this new world. You made me cry, but you also reminded me I am not alone. Many thanks. Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah, your message hit home. It will be a year in September. I'm surviving but barely. I just gave a two weeks notice at work and really miss how he would have supported and guided me. The way you described how you would have been nurtured I could really relate. I live in San Antonio

    ReplyDelete